Sunday, November 10, 2019

Nazli Karabıyıkoğlu : Just A Perfect Day: I’m Glad I’ve Spent It Writing


 I am a full-time writer thanks to my decision I took four years ago when I was wasting my time in corporates. Since then my routine changed a lot, in time I realized that I am working harder than my corporate days. First thing to be said about my writing routine/day is the pleasure of being free and independent. Every single day I wake up and thank universe/karma/god -whatever it is- for living in such freedom to create.
When saying full-time writer, I really mean that. I don’t need a laptop or paper-pen to write, especially when I am in nature. So, my typical writing day has two categories: One, when I am at a country side or travelling, I take several mind-notes to process and use when I create something. I find this process the strongest part of writing because the core of any story is built upon what you have got in your hard-drive. I don’t push myself to write everything I perceive, but to feel all the elements of nature.
Second, -this is the cruelest part- I always know the times that I should -I must- stay at home and start to work. These crazy days consume nearly eight months of a year. Normally, I work at nights, sleep like three to four hours, get up, take a walk and keep writing. This may sound harsh but not for me. This is my way of existence. And if I am not on writing state, I do editorial stuff or just read.
I don’t have a writer’s desk to show off, since I left it in Turkey. I don’t have a proper study-room but I can work on any desk, any room, any environment, the world is my study-room. I can work on grass, on top of a plane or under the roof of an elephant shelter. As long as I have the freedom of speech and freedom to write, I will keep on writing.


Note: Since I don’t have a proper writer’s desk, I am sharing my favorite writing position ever.



Nazli Karabıyıkoğlu is a Turkish author, now full-time resident in Georgia, who recently escaped from the political, cultural, and gender oppression in Turkey. She helped create the #MeToo movement within the Turkish publishing industry, from which she was then excommunicated. With an M.A. in Turkish Language and Literature from Bogazici University, Karabıyıkoğlu has five published books in Turkish and has recently completed translations of two new books for international publication. Having won six literary awards in her country, she has been actively writing for magazines since 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment