Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Kelly Krumrie : Writing Day


The cat and dog want to go outside and then come in and then go out again. I check to see if any tomatoes are ripe. I pick up dog poop. I walk around, refill my water glass. I read something I wrote. I open a book. I look up a word. I look up something else. I close my computer and then open it. I log in. I click my pencil. Outside, I assemble a word bank in my notebook, and I try to use each of the words in sentences. I rearrange the sentences. I look up. I let the cat out. I stand on a chair to look over the fence into the neighbor’s yard, pretending to look for the cat. I write another sentence. I change into my running clothes. I don’t wear headphones. I run the same route. I think of something and stop and I write it in the notes on my phone. I get home. I check my notebook, stretch, shower, eat. I open a new tab. I type what was in the notebook. I rearrange sentences. I open several books at once and pull words and sentences from those books into my notebook and then I type them on the computer. I make coffee and drink it. I use a foam roller on my legs. I look out the window. I reread sentences. I make another word bank. I open a book. I take a word from that book and put it in my notebook and then type it. I research something, and then something else. I get up. I pull up dead plants and chase a squirrel out. I look up a word and then something else. I refill my water glass. I go into another room. I have the dog on my lap.



Kelly Krumrie’s prose, poetry, and reviews are forthcoming from or appear in Entropy, La Vague, Full Stop, Black Warrior Review, and elsewhere. She is a PhD student in Creative Writing at the University of Denver and holds an MFA from the University of San Francisco. She is currently the Prose Editor at Denver Quarterly.

No comments:

Post a Comment